Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Why Thursday's Child?

Like all people of a certain age, sometime in my childhood I memorized the Mother Goose Rhyme designed to teach us the days of the week: Monday's child is fair of face, Tuesday's child is full of grace, Wednesday's child is full of woe, Thursday's child has far to go, Friday's child is loving and giving, Saturday's child works hard for a living....and I decided that I surely wanted to be a Friday's child...who wouldn't? Or else the child born on the Sabbath: lovely, happy and gay. I knew I wasn't fair to look at, or particularly graceful. I'd rather not be woeful or have to work hard.

Then I learned that I was indeed born on a Thursday...shortly after midnight. I managed to be an Aquarius and not a Capricorn, and a Thursday and not a Wednesday child, by just a few minutes. As my mother told it, I should have been born on that Wednesday if the hours she had spent in painful labor were to count for anything, but there I was, late for my own birthday.

And destined to have "far to go." I'm not really a believer in astrology and these kinds of charms, but there is something fitting in being a Thursday's child, because I have gone far in my lifetime, if not geographically, then spiritually and philosophically. And that is what this blog is going to be about: where I've been and where I'm going, especially in respect to faith, family and affiliations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on Blog No. 2. You've gone pretty far in the blogging world in pretty short order. I don't remember that Mother Goose rhyme, but I did have an enormous two-LP set of mother goose rhymes with accompanying story book that I'd listen to through my parents gigantic oversized 1970s hi-fi headphones. I also listened to Dolly parton with those headphones ... So "jack sprat" gets all muddled in my memory with "Jolene" and "Bargain Store." Anyway, congrats!